Yellow Slug Reviews is a blog dedicated to reviewing K-Pop music videos, albums and a Korean drama or two because they are addictive like crack. While reviews may stray onto the more serious and analytical side of things, Yellow Slug also realizes that K-Pop is first and foremost entertainment not designed to revolutionize the world, and will thus treat it appropriately. Idol news is a source of great humor and spazzing out over K-Pop entertainers (both guys and gals).
The author is an Asian American who spends way too much of his free time thinking about Korean pop music, it’s various influences and ascetics, and Jessica Jung. He finds Wang Fei Fei to be absolutely perfect, and will not hear otherwise. Also, he talks in the third person apparently; probably because he is a bit egotistical. He was born in San Francisco, graduated from UC Santa Cruz (hence the slug moniker) and currently resides in Oakland where he alternatively roots for the Warriors and blasts K-Pop while driving around Downtown.
Hello! I really like your blog so I nominated you for the Liebster award! Get more information here: http://stmsignificant.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/wow-small-things-made-significant-was-nominated-for-liebster-award/
Have a nice day! Anna
Lol you already got a Liebster award. Well I thought you should get one from me, so now you’ll have two. I’m interested to hear your answers to my questions: http://kpopfornoobcakes.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/award-post/
Hey! I know you have already gotten one before but I just nominated you for a Liebster Award! No need to thank me; you deserved it lol!
Haha, thanks! I do love knowing that people read the stuff I write and like it. I did do the Liebster thing and you can read it here: http://wp.me/p2JOF9-He
I will answer your questions though! After all, what’s more fun than talking about one’s self?
1. What got you so interested in Asian culture? – I’m Asian but don’t speak anything but English. I often felt like I was “missing out” so this is small penance for that (although I’m Chinese, so who knows).
2. Do you tend to express your love for Asian culture outside of the blogging world (with friends, family, work or school?) – I mean, I’ll eat any and all Asian food placed in front of me and my grandparents are pretty traditionally Chinese (I’m third generation so the parents and aunts/uncles are already Americanized). I do want to learn to cook Asian food and I was active in some Asian clubs in college. That’s about as far as it goes though.
3. If you were able to become fluent in only one language overnight, which would it be and what would you do with such skills? – Cantonese to speak with my grandparents. I know I’m missing a lot of family history there simply because I can’t communicate with them as well as I’d like to.
4. Have you got another hobby apart from blogging? If so, what is it and how often do you do it? – Hm, does DOTA count? Twice a week for so. Aside from that, basketball in the summer.
5. If you were only one of the last two survivors of a zombie apocalypse (cliqued, I know lol), who would your other survivor buddy be?(could be celebrity, family, even your pet ><) – Patches, family dog and all around badass.
6. Which is your all-time favourite variety show? – Running Man. Long live Monday Couple.
7. What is one food you wish to try out? – Freshly killed octopus. Just once though.
8. What is your ultimate guilty pleasure? – Miley Cyrus
9. Who or what is your ideal male/female? – GODDESS OF ALL THAT IS GOOD WANG FEI FEI
10. One piece of advice for those who are currently blogging/wanting to start a blog – Never second guess your voice. Write daily, even when you would literally rather do anything else. Consistency and your thoughts count for everything.
Thank you for answering back so soon!! Didn’t expect it to be that fast ^^
It’s great to hear that you’re trying to connect back to your roots! I know exactly how it feels to be ‘left out’ by your family who thinks that you couldn’t understand any better.
At least you were involved! I can only cook two dishes (an egg and tomato dish plus a really really simple soup) and there really isn’t a lot of Asian clubs to participate here in university. You are really lucky!!
Awww I sympathise with you. I have that struggle with my parents, who aren’t as fluent in English as I sometimes wished they were. But now, I’m forcing myself to not let go of my mother tongue by learning it as a subject in uni ^^ And you are extremely blessed that your grandparents are still here!
Haha of course they both counts! I wish I could play a sport – these arms and legs can never work together ><
Exactly, long live the Monday Couple ❤
Same here!!! The only problem is…is that whole idea that it will be still squirming and moving, even after it enters the mouth *shiver* I don't even have a similar memory to get an idea how that would feel O.O
Of course, why bother asking LOLOL
That is some really good advice, even for me 🙂 I'm sure plenty of others out there will take that into mind too!
Thank you once again for answering them and please, don't forget that you deserved it! The way you write is just…so *sniff sniff* beautiful hehe I don't really know how to explain it; your writings sometimes just makes me speechless ^//^ thank you, and I will continue to read the stuff you post 😀
You’re one the bloggers I enjoy reading and even though I don’t comment much just know I enjoy reading your blog and that’s why I nominated you for a Liebster Award, even though it seems i’m a bit late to the party cause I see you have several nominations. Goes to show how many other bloggers like me enjoy your blog.
I nominated you for a Liebster Award! For more info: http://kpoponmymind.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/i-got-a-liebster-award/
I’ve really been enjoying your blog. It reminds me in some ways of a weekly column that used to appear on Allkpop called “Confessions of an Uncle Fan” which was always fun to read for those of us who are male K-pop fans, but older. I don’t know if you ever saw that column. Unfortunately the guy who wrote it stopped writing it due to some changes in professional commitments. It’s too bad that no one picked it up or that Allkpop decided not to continue it.